Here’s a recipe that I’ve made for years and come back to over and over! Roasted jalapeños stuffed with three kinds of cheese & sausage are a major winner for everyone who loves a little spiciness. Plus there are some vegetables too, so y’know – healthy-ish.
These are a great make-ahead party appetizer; roast the peppers and make the filling the day before, then just stuff and bake! They even freeze well once they’re fully cooked.
They might not be the most elegant appetizers, but if you have a jalapeño-loving crowd these will definitely be a hit! The danger is in filling up with these spice bombs and washing them down with chilly rosé before the main event… but I won’t tell anyone if you want to just call them dinner.
Italian Stuffed Jalapeños
- 12 jalapeños
- 1 lb. hot italian sausage
- 1/2 red bell pepper finely diced
- 1/2 red onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz. fat-free cream cheese
- 2 oz. parmesan grated
- salt to taste
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese finely shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Slice jalapeños in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds & veins with a spoon. Arrange cut-side-down on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Roast jalapeños at 350° for 10 minutes, then remove and set oven to broil.
- While jalapeños are roasting, cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high until browned, about 5-7 minutes. Add bell peppers, onions, and garlic and cook until peppers & onions are soft. Remove from heat and let cool 10 minutes.
- Combine sausage mixture, cream cheese, parmesan, and salt in a large bowl. Stuff filling evenly into roasted jalapeño halves, then sprinkle mozzarella on top.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes, until mozzarella has melted. Let cool for a minute and serve hot.