Someone please come over. I have an entire plate of these gorgonzola-stuffed dates with toasted walnuts and I just. can’t. stop. Sweet dates and salty melted cheese and toasted walnuts are too good to resist.
The best appetizers look fancy but can be tossed together easily in minutes. Two strong flavors – dates and gorgonzola – mellow each other out and finish with a nice toasted crunch.
The ingredients are a bit of a splurge price-wise, but this is a great recipe to play with substitutions. If bleu cheese is on sale, try mixing that with a little cream cheese and swap it for pricey gorgonzola.
Trader Joe’s medjool dates are usually the best price in my area but use whatever’s available at your local store – Mariani pitted dates are a great deal from Amazon.
You can make this appetizer ahead of time and just pop them in the oven when friends arrive. If you’re prepping more than an hour in advance, cover the dates so they don’t dry out and store in the fridge.
Gorgonzola Walnut Stuffed Dates
- 1 dozen dates
- 3 oz. gorgonzola
- 1 t. milk
- 2 T. walnuts halved or chopped
- 2 t. honey
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Slice the dates halfway through lengthwise to create a slit. Remove pits and arrange on a foil-covered baking sheet.
- Mash the gorgonzola and milk into a smooth paste. Stuff gorgonzola evenly among dates and top with walnuts.
- Bake at 400° for 6-8 minutes, until cheese is melting and walnuts are toasted.
- Drizzle lightly with honey and serve warm.
This post contains affiliate links for products I love, meaning I receive a small percentage if you click & buy – it doesn’t affect your purchase price and helps this blog keep cooking. Thanks!