If your kitchen is overflowing with zucchini, pop these delicious scones in the oven. They’re stuffed full of zucchini – so healthy! – and sharp cheddar – so good – with a sprinkle of fresh thyme to round everything out. Tangy plain yogurt and local wildflower honey balance the dough to create scones with crunchy outsides and soft, craggy insides.
Squeeze as much moisture out of your grated zucchini as possible! The dough starts on the dry side, but adding the damp zucchini brings it all together. Starting with very cold butter creates perfect little nooks inside the baked scone.
Tell me your favorite ways to use up overflowing squash! (And feel free to drop some off at my veggie-less garden, please and thank you.)
Savory Zucchini Cheddar Scones
- 2 1/2 cups flour + 1 T.
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. salt
- 8 T. butter cold & sliced
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 2 T. honey
- 1 cup zucchini finely grated & pressed dry
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar shredded
- 1 T. fresh thyme minced
- Preheat oven to 400°F / 200°C.
- Mix 2 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the cold butter and quickly work into coarse crumbles.
- In a separate bowl, whisk yogurt, egg, and honey until smooth. Then fold into dry ingredients just until combined.
- Toss zucchini, 6 oz. cheddar, and thyme with 1 T. of flour until coated, then gently work into dough.
- Turn dough onto a clean work surface and shape into an 8-inch circle. Cut into 12 wedges and place each on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar.
- Bake at 400°F / 200°C for 20-22 minutes, until tops are golden brown.