Think goldfish-cheddar-cracker meets sweet-spicy-jelly meets the easiest five-ingredient thumbprint cookie. These make me want to invite anyone and everyone over for a good wine night! Anyone feeling like a trip to the Rockies, let’s say 7pm?
Can’t-stop-won’t-stop with pepper jelly. It’s just so good on everything. My favorite is Trader Joe’s hot & sweet pepper jelly and it’s more of a staple in our fridge than ketchup.
I’ve also been caught smearing it on a slice of brie… just a slice of brie… more than once. No shame.
This week has been the best-worst kind of busy. So much stuff getting done but so much left to do! Sometimes, the best we can do is stress-bake away our feelings and invite our friends over for cookies and wine. It’s not a bad start.
Cheddar Pepper-Jelly Thumbprint Cookies
- 6 oz. sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 t. coarse salt
- pinch cayenne
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup pepper jelly
- Cream together cheddar and butter. Incorporate salt and cayenne, then slowly add flour until dough forms and sticks together.
- Turn dough onto a large piece of plastic wrap and press into a log about 1 1/2 inches thick. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Unwrap dough and slice into 1/4-inch rounds.
- Place cookies on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet at least 1 inch apart.
- Bake at 350° for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and press a thumbprint into the center of each cookie. Spoon pepper jelly into each indent and return to the oven.
- Continue baking at 350° until edges are crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Let cool completely on baking sheets before serving.