Summer brings the most intense sushi cravings, but even takeout sushi is an expensive habit… I needed something to take their place to save my wallet. These cucumber “sushi” rollups are lighter, low-carb without rice, but still hit that seafood flavor with creamy crab!
This is a great light snack after our celebratory food-coma-hangover. It takes a little prep work, but it’s such a fun way to eat your veggies!
I’ll admit I was a little leery of using canned crab here, but it really works well. Other fish would work just as well, especially salmon.
Kirk and I split this platter for dinner and the crunchy veggies are surprisingly filling! For under 30 calories each, including dipping sauce, eat as many as you want.
Cucumber Sushi Rollups
- 1 large cucumber
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 large carrot peeled
- 1/4 bunch cilantro roughly chopped
- 4 oz. crab meat pressed dry
- 3 T. fat-free cream cheese
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1-2 T. chili garlic sauce or sriracha
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Use the thinnest setting on a mandoline to create long ribbons of cucumber. You want roughly a dozen strips.
- Slice avocado thinly into 12 pieces.
- Use a peeler to create thin strips of carrots.
- Mix crab with 2 T. cream cheese in a small bowl.
- Lay a cucumber slice flat on a cutting board. Layer avocado slice, carrots, cilantro, and about 1 T. crab mix on one end. Put a small dab of cream cheese on the other end.
- Roll the cucumber strip up tightly, sealing with cream cheese, and place seam-down on a plate. Repeat with remaining cucumber strips.
- Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes, to help the cream cheese harden and keep the rolls tight.
- While rolls are chilling, mix mayonnaise and chili garlic sauce for dipping.
- Optionally sprinkle rollups with sesame seeds. Serve chilled with dipping sauce.