Colorado is only just beginning to realize that summer is over. The mornings have cooled down, but the afternoons are still gorgeously sunny and in the 80s. I’m ready for the transition but we’re not quite to the huddle-by-the-fire-with-cider time of year, so I’ve resorted to chilled sangria with fall flavors.
Spiced Fall Sangria has crisp apple and pear flavors, sweetened by orange and spiced with cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. Just slice up the fruits, add the spices, pour your favorite lower-shelf red wine, and give it a good stir!
Like most sangrias, this is quick and simple to toss together a hour before people are coming over, or you can make it that morning for stronger flavoring. Apple cider works wonderfully to sweeten it or lower the alcohol content a bit.
Spiced Fall Sangria
- ½ red apple thinly sliced
- ½ green apple thinly sliced
- ½ orange thinly sliced
- ½ pear thinly sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 t. whole cloves
- ½ inch fresh ginger sliced
- ½ vanilla pod or 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 bottle red wine
- Layer fruits, spices, and vanilla in a large pitcher.
- Pour wine over fruit and gently stir.
- Chill for 1 hour and stir again before serving.
Nutrition info includes all of the fruits.