This salad is all about color and texture! Time to bring in the full rainbow of crunchy veggies and top it off with chewy rice noodles and tangy-salty-sweet vinaigrette.
Just three steps here: Chop veggies. Saute shrimp. Shake up that dressing and drizzle drizzle drizzle. Okay, and the most important step: heap into a giant bowl and DEVOUR.
The gorgeous sunny weather this past week had me craving a bright spring salad. This totally hit the spot under yesterday’s balmy 70°-and-sunny skies…
…and this morning we’re getting dumped on by a fantastic blizzard! Gotta love that mountain weather. It’s okay, I can stuff my face with snow-day indulgent goodness and still feel good eating this for dinner. It’s hard not to love the snow watching Scout romp around!
I’m a major fan of the fresh rice noodles from Trader Joe’s – only $1.99 for two 6 oz. packages that cook in less than a minute. You can find them in the refrigerated produce & prepared foods section.
I love love love spice, but my serrano pepper was crazy hot this time – I’ll hang my head and admit the heat level got overwhelming near the bottom of the bowl. You can completely omit it if you’re spice-phobic, or just test a tiny sliver before you add it to check your pepper’s heat level.
Shrimp Vietnamese Salad
- 1 t. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 oz. shrimp shelled
- 2 T. lime juice
- 1 T. rice vinegar
- 1 t. fish sauce
- 1 t. sesame oil
- 1 T. brown sugar
- 6 oz. fresh rice noodles cooked according to package directions
- 2 cups red cabbage shredded
- 1 cup carrots julienned
- 1 cup cucumber julienned
- 1 serrano pepper thinly sliced (optional)
- ¼ cup green onion diced
- ¼ cup cilantro roughly chopped
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and shrimp and sauté until the shrimp is just cooked through, then remove from heat.
- Whisk or shake the lime juice, rice vinegar, fish sauce, sesame oil, and brown sugar until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Layer the rice noodles, shrimp, red cabbage, carrots, and cucumber on plates.
- Sprinkle with peppers, green onion, and cilantro.
- Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.