This is my favorite salad using the Asian Turkey Meatballs I posted last week – it’s got great crunchy texture, lots of flavors, and only takes a couple minutes to toss together. Salad as it should be!
The meatballs try to steal the show here, but what really makes it is the dressing. Freshly grated ginger and garlic gives it a spicy bite, lime juice adds that tart acidity, and a little brown sugar mellows everything out.
I’ve never been much of a salad-as-a-meal person. As a side, loaded up with chunky blue cheese dressing? Heck yes. But I’ve grudgingly accepted that some salads are worth it, and for me this almost always means adding protein. As long as there’s something satiating in there, something that feels more decadent than vegetables, I can love it. Especially when it’s drizzled with ginger-garlic-lime goodness.
Salads are endlessly customizable and everything’s optional. As always, use up what you have in your fridge and what sounds good to you.
Ginger Kale Salad with Asian Turkey Meatballs
- 2 cups kale shredded
- 2 cups red cabbage shredded
- 1 cucumber julienned
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger grated
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 T. oil
- 2 T. lime juice
- 1 T. brown sugar
- 1/2 t. salt
- 4 oz. mushrooms sliced
- 3 sprigs cilantro chopped
- 20 Asian Turkey Meatballs
- Toss the kale, cabbage, and cucumber sticks together.
- Combine the ginger, garlic, oil, lime juice, brown sugar, and salt for the dressing. Stir or shake until completely combined.
- Place kale mixture in serving bowl or individual bowls and top with mushrooms, cilantro, and meatballs. Drizzle with dressing and serve.