We’re taking beautiful bright green beans and giving them a quick stir-fry in sesame oil with red pepper flakes. Quick and simple is the best way to add vegetables to dinnertime. I’m pretty guilty of just making a main dish and saying good enough… but we all need some more green goodness in our lives.
Sesame oil, soy sauce, and rice vinegar should become pantry staples if they aren’t already. Just a dash of each brings so much flavor to vegetables and meats. Red pepper flakes depend on your spice tolerance… but I’ll load ‘em up on everything. The sesame oil really kicks up the spice level of the red pepper flakes – start slow and taste!
Red Pepper Sesame Green Beans
- 1 lb. green beans
- 1 T. sesame oil
- ¼ to ½ t. red pepper flakes
- 1½ T. soy sauce
- 2 t. rice vinegar
- coarse salt
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add green beans and cook until al dente, about 5-6 minutes. Drain beans and rinse with cold water to stop cooking.
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beans and red pepper flakes and stir-fry for two minutes.
- Add soy sauce and rice vinegar and toss for another 2 minutes, until sauce has slightly thickened and coats green beans.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt and serve warm.