Affogato might literally be Italian for “drowned”, but I’m convinced that it also means “cup of heaven”. Dark chocolate + almond + espresso is downright irresistible. The flavors meld together so beautifully that you’ll even forget that it’s just three easy ingredients!
Confession: most nights, I fall asleep ridiculously early. I can’t help it, I’m an obnoxious morning person, but sometimes I want to stay up to a respectable-adult bedtime. The combination of espresso and amaretto not only tastes heavenly but is a great boost for after-8pm energy.
And then topping it all off with curls of rich dark chocolate and toasted hazelnuts? Literally everything I want.
I honestly considered naming this dessert ‘Ladykiller’ because I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t love to be served this beauty on Valentine’s. Whip up this affogato for your date and see for yourself.
We’re in for a few cold, icy days here in Colorado, so we’ll stay cuddled up by the fire all night. A quiet night in with a couple bottles of red and yes-we’re-still-in-our-twenties-why-do-you-ask smooth jazz? Sounds like a perfect night.
Amaretto Chocolate Affogato
- 2 scoops dark chocolate gelato
- 2 oz. amaretto
- 4 oz. hot espresso
- (optional) dark chocolate curls
- (optional) chopped hazelnuts
- Place scoops of gelato into two glasses.
- Pour 1 oz. amaretto over each scoop.
- Pour 2 oz. hot espresso around the edge of each glass.
- (optional) Sprinkle dark chocolate curls and chopped hazelnuts on top.
- Serve immediately before the ice cream melts.