Like so many good things this is almost too simple: simmering jalapenos in raspberry jam and spreading it over cream cheese and devouring with pretzels. Good old-fashioned pretzel sticks work just fine, but Pretzel Crisps (not sponsored, just addicted) are perfect for scooping.
It’s been pointed out (thanks mom!) that most Mountain Cravings recipes are pretty spicy. She’s not wrong… I’m a card-holding heat addict. Hot sauces, red pepper flakes, jalapenos in everything is just the nature of my kitchen.
While this recipe isn’t for you if you can’t handle any spice, it’s at least much more adaptable based on the amount of cream cheese you use. I’ve suggested four to eight ounces; we like it right at four, where the heat is high, but doubling the cream cheese will make this much milder. To take it down even further, mix the jam into the cream cheese rather than spreading it on top. Just don’t mix too far ahead of time – the longer those jalapenos sit, the more spice comes out!
I can imagine this would be just as killer with other jams – blackberry and peach come to mind! The sweetness of the jam is important to temper the spice level, so stick to the super-sweet jarred jams rather than low-sugar homemade versions or tart curds.
Raspberry-Jalapeño Jam Spread
- 1/2 lb. jalapeños very thinly sliced
- 8 oz. raspberry jam
- 4-8 oz. cream cheese softened
- pretzels for dipping
- Bring jalapenos, raspberry jam, and 1/4 cup water to a simmer in a small pot. Let simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- While jalapenos are simmering, spread cream cheese evenly on a large serving plate. Use 4 oz. for a spicier spread, 8 oz. for a milder version.
- Once the sauce has reduced, spread the jalapeno jam over the cream cheese.
- Serve at room temp with pretzels for dipping.