In partnership with Chocolove.
Kickstart your morning with super-caffeinated cookies! These lusciously rich cookies are vegan, gluten-free, and packed with energy thanks to espresso & cacao nibs. They’re stuffed with all sorts of healthy goodness – oats, flax, chia, fruit, & nuts – to keep you full. And then dipped in coffee-studded dark chocolate, because it’s important to treat ourselves too.
Eating healthy cookies for breakfast is a win-win. These have the deliciously bitter note of a freshly brewed cup of strong black coffee, naturally sweetened by honey to avoid a mid-morning sugar crash. Keep a few in your cookie jar for last-minute breakfasts on rushed mornings!
These are a choose-your-own-adventure deal with your favorite dried fruit and nuts. Go for something seasonal (or use up any bags hanging out in your pantry):
- tart cherries + pecans → what I did here
- cranberries + walnuts
- figs + pistachios
- apricots + macadamia
- raisins + peanuts → PBJ style!
Each batch makes one dozen big cookies, so you can try a different flavor every time. Tell me about your favorites!
Mocha Buzz Breakfast Cookies
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup oat flour (see note)
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs
- 1/2 cup dried fruit like cherries, raisins, cranberries, etc.
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts like pecans, walnuts, pepitas, etc.
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup instant espresso or instant coffee
- 2 T. chia seeds
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 large overripe banana
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 t. vanilla
- 6 oz. Chocolove coffee crunch dark chocolate or other coffee-flavored dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 325ºF / 160ºC.
- Combine oats, oat flour, cacao nibs, dried fruit, nuts, flaxseed, espresso, chia seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Mash banana in a small bowl. Whisk in honey, coconut oil, and vanilla. Fold into dry ingredients and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Scoop dough with a 1/4 cup measure onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until edges are set but center is still soft.
- Let cool on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes.
- While cookies are cooling, melt chocolate over a double boiler.
- Dip half of each cookie in the melted chocolate. Set on the rack to cool until chocolate hardens.