You know how sometimes the most basic combinations end up so deliciously cravable? There is some serious magic going on with these sliders. You need them in your life yesterday, whether it’s for a casual get-together or a certain major sports event coming up (not a major football fan here, but I’m loving the party vibe in Denver today!).
There’s nothing mind-blowing about the ingredients– ham and cheese is kinda classic, right? – but they come together into so much more than the parts. The caramelized onions, the sweet-tangy sauce, the gooey cheese… yeah, we’re in sandwich heaven.
We aren’t baking bread or getting fancy here. Layering sweet rolls + sauce + ham + cheese + onions is pretty much as straightforward as it gets. There is just some serious goodness happening when they all get wrapped up together in foil and baked.
Even better, there are so many ways to prep these ahead of time. You can caramelize the onions and whip the sauce together, then layer onto sliders when you’re ready; you can even assemble them all the way, then just throw the foil package in the oven at the last minute. They’re totally versatile and so easy to make for big groups.
Caramelized onions should always always always have a good glug of whiskey in them to kick up the flavor. The alcohol burns off and you’re left with a nice deep undertone that really brings out the natural sweetness of the onion.
Every time I make these sliders, I tell myself I’m just going to eat one or two… and then half the plate is gone, and I’m wondering if anyone will notice if I just take the rest back to the kitchen for myself. I’m craving them again just writing this!
Hot Ham, Mozzarella, & Caramelized Onion Sliders
- 1 onion halved & thinly sliced
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 T. whiskey
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 T. spicy mustard
- 1 t. worcestershire
- 1 t. chili garlic paste
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 12 Hawaiian sweet rolls
- 6 oz. deli ham sliced
- 6 oz. mozzarella cheese sliced
- Sauté the onions in olive oil. When they’re completely translucent and just starting to brown, add the whiskey – it will steam wildly, just keep stirring! Remove from heat once they’re deep brown & caramelized, but still soft.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Mix the mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire, chili garlic paste, and garlic powder into a sauce.
- Open the dinner rolls. Spread the bottom buns with sauce, layer ham, cheese, and caramelized onions on top, then cover with the top bun.
- Wrap the sliders in aluminum foil and bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is fully melted.