My slow cooker butter chicken recipe is one of my favorite healthy comfort meals – I could happily eat it every week, but I’m always looking for healthier alternatives to rice and naan. This recipe made me realize that it’s the perfect pairing with sweet potatoes! Maybe not in fry form… but a baked sweet potato, split open and stuffed with butter chicken, sounds like healthy food heaven.
There’s some prep work to do ahead of time, but don’t let that scare you off – the final dish is so worth it! You can use premade paneer cheese but it’s so dang easy (and cheap!) to make yourself.
Chicken Tikka Masala Poutine
- half recipe Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
- 1/2 gallon whole milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 lb. sweet potato fries
Chicken Tikka Masala
- Follow recipe for Slow Cooker Butter Chicken. You only need a half batch for poutine, but it's worth it to make the full recipe and have another meal ready!
- Set a colander in the sink and line with cheesecloth or a clean thin cotton towel.
- Bring whole milk to a simmer over low heat in a large pot. This takes a long time - don't be tempted to turn the heat up or the milk will burn to the bottom of the pot.
- When lightly simmering, turn off the heat and stir in lemon juice. The curds and whey should immediately begin to separate into white clumps and greenish liquid. Stir for a couple minutes until no more curds appear to be forming.
- Carefully pour the curds into the cheesecloth and rinse with cool water. Gather the ends of the cloth and twist tightly to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Set the ball on a large plate with the twisted ends out to one side (rather than on top or bottom). Set another plate upside-down on top of the ball and set a heavy can on top for weight.
- Let paneer set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before unwrapping.
- Cook sweet potato fries in the oven to extra-crispy according to package directions.
- While fries are cooking, cut paneer into cubes.
- Layer fries, tikka masala, and paneer in an oven-safe dish. Broil for 5 minutes, until sauce is bubbling and paneer cubes are hot. Serve immediately.