Still with me? Resolutions are over, right? I’m so glad we’re here. These sliders are for people who take the weekend brunch game very seriously. Or the breakfast-for-dinner game, which is always a major hit in our house. This is pure home-cooking indulgence stuffed inside more comfort food, exactly what we need to carry us through the winter.
The craziest thing is that these aren’t even terrible for you – each slider has less than 300 calories and packs 20g of protein! ‘Frying’ in the oven really lightens the chicken up, and oven-frying can be absolutely amazing when done right. Using a breading with more cornmeal than flour gives the chicken a better fried texture, and so does a high temperature to crisp the breading to golden brown.
If you want a liiittle more deep-fried goodness in the oven, spritz both sides of the breaded chicken with olive oil. This also helps the breading darken faster.
Served with fresh winter oranges, to lighten things up a little, right? Right.
Got your game-day menu planned? These would make a perfect last-minute addition… just saying. Have a very happy weekend!
Chicken Biscuit & Gravy Sliders
Chicken Biscuit Sliders
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 t. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- 8 biscuits
- 1/2 lb. breakfast sausage
- 2 T. flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Pound the chicken thighs to half-inch thickness, then cut each thigh in half to make 8 pieces.
- Whisk cornmeal, flour, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper together in a small bowl. Pour milk into another small bowl.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and set a wire rack inside. Coat the rack with nonstick spray.
- Dip both sides of chicken in milk, then dredge in cornmeal mixture. Press into the mix to thoroughly coat both sides of the chicken. Set on wire rack.
- Bake chicken at 425° for 30-35 minutes, until both sides are golden brown.
- While chicken is baking, brown sausage in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in flour until it disappears, then slowly pour in milk while stirring. Add salt & pepper.
- Bring gravy to a simmer and continue cooking for about 5 minutes until thickened.
- About 5 minutes before the chicken is done, add biscuits to the oven to warm.
- Split biscuits in half and set a piece of chicken on each.
- Serve sliders hot with sausage gravy for topping.