This is the straight-up definition of guilty comfort food and it’s so damn good.
Potato skins and chorizo aren’t winning any beauty contests, so I’m begging you to look past the pictures and just imagine a big bite melting in your mouth.
Green onions on top means this is practically a salad, right? Let’s not talk about the double serving that dropped me into the couch for the evening.
You can sub sausage if that’s more your thing, but the chorizo spices – and yes, let’s just admit it, that flavorful greasy goodness – does so much here. Season the sausage heavily if you go this route.
Best of all, leftovers with a fried egg on top will have you rolling out of bed as soon as the alarm rings!
Cheesy Chorizo Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- olive oil
- 8 oz. chorizo
- 1 poblano pepper diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup green onions sliced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- sour cream for topping
- Rub the sweet potatoes with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and place directly on oven rack. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes to 1 hour until skins are crispy.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, cook chorizo and poblano in a large skillet, draining excess fat. When poblanos are soft, add garlic and 1/4 cup green onions and saute for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
- Use a fork to pierce a line across the top of each sweet potato, then squeeze the ends so the potatoes pop open.
- Stir 1/2 cup cheddar into the chorizo mixture, then stuff equally between the potatoes. Top with remaining cheddar, green onions, and sour cream.