Mashed potatoes can get overlooked next to all the other colorful holiday dishes. It’s not a once-a-year special tradition (I’m looking at you, stuffing and cranberry ‘salad’) but it’s the magic that ties everything else on the plate together. There is nothing wrong with good old mashed potatoes and butter – I repeat, nothing – but sometimes you just want a little more punch.
Blue Cheese & Roasted Apple Mashed Potatoes are almost as simple as the plain version but the sweet roasted apples and salty blue cheese make it the star of the meal. Add some chives for color and cream cheese to make it luxurious, and you’ll have a new favorite that definitely deserves a place on the table at Christmas dinner.
The farther I get into blogging, the more I’m realizing that some foods are simply not photogenic. There are some rockstars out there who can make pale yellow mashed potatoes look amazing on the screen, but I am simply not one of them yet. Just trust that these taste ah-MAZING and that you will absolutely love them.
I always leave the skin on my potatoes since it has most of the nutrients and I like the texture, but you can always peel them to make it even smoother.
Blue Cheese & Roasted Apple Mashed Potatoes
- 2 golden delicious apples peeled & diced
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 lb. potatoes diced
- 4 oz. fat-free cream cheese
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbled
- 2 T. butter
- 1 1/2 T. chives chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place apple pieces on a large piece of foil and drizzle with olive oil.
- Wrap tin foil tightly and roast at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Boil potatoes until tender and drain.
- Mash potatoes with roasted apples.
- Stir in cream cheese, blue cheese, butter, and 1 T. chives.
- Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes until golden brown & bubbling.
- Top with remaining chives.