Real talk: as soon as I finished taking photos, Kirk and I ate half of these for lunch. We still have half a dozen sitting in the fridge and I’m already wanting to make a double batch for the freezer. Whatever it is, these are ADDICTIVE.
Even if you don’t always want pickles on your burger, they work really well here. Acidity balances out the rich meat and cheese, and the juice keeps the filling moist. If you really can’t stand them, try subbing chopped tomatoes!
Like all good party foods, you can make the filling and wrap the eggrolls up to a day in advance, then pop them in the oven at the last minute when friends show up. The beauty of baking makes a huge batch all at once so much easier – not to mention losing the grease from the frying pan.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 T. worcestershire
- 1 t. montreal seasoning or salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup cheddar shredded
- 1/2 cup pickles diced
- 4 slices american or cheddar cheese cut into thirds
- 12 eggroll wrappers
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 T. mustard
- 1 t. pickle juice
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet over high heat, stirring often. When beef is brown, add onion, worcestershire, and seasoning and continue cooking until onion is translucent.
- Place beef in a mixing bowl and let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in cheddar and pickles.
- Lay out eggroll wrappers on a clean surface. Set one third of a slice of american cheese diagonally across each wrapper. Scoop a scant third of a cup of the beef mixture onto each wrapper and pat into a thick line on top of the cheese.
- Viewing the wrapper as a diamond with the filling in a horizontal line, fold the bottom corner up over the filling. Fold the left and right corners in tightly. Thoroughly wet the remaining top corner, then roll up tightly.
- Set eggrolls seam side down on a parchment lined baking sheet. Spray generously with olive oil.
- Bake at 425° for 18-20 minutes, until crispy and golden brown.
- While eggrolls are baking, stir together all ingredients for the dipping sauce.
- Serve hot from the oven with dipping sauce.