Sauteing apples + onions + chicken sausage + rosemary + cinnamon makes a knock-em-dead skillet that – bonus – is good for you! This dish fits perfectly in the healthy-ish comfort food category with a little sweetness, a little vinegar, and tons of flavor.
Versatile dishes you can eat any time of day make life so easy. I ate this on its own for dinner last night, topped with a fried egg this morning (YES), and I can’t stop sneaking bites out of the fridge.
This dish came together around fresh apple cinnamon & maple chicken sausages from my local King Soopers (aka Kroger outside Colorado). One of my best impulse purchases – super juicy, tons of flavor, and they’re great on their own! At just $1 for a quarter-pound link, they’re even cheaper per pound than most specialty sausages.
I really recommend these sausages if your local Kroger butcher carries them, but of course you can use any other kind of chicken sausage instead. Apple and chicken are a common flavor combo – look for these!
(This post isn’t sponsored or affiliated with Kroger, which is unfortunate because I could eat these sausages every day. Just sharing a new grocery store favorite!)
A couple notes about this recipe: use your BIGGEST cast iron skillet. Seriously. This is a looot of raw onions and apples, and they crowd the pan quite a lot before cooking down to a manageable level. You could responsibly work in batches, but I’m impatient so I cranked up the heat and made a well in the center to let liquid evaporate.
Also: bourbon. ❤ It always, always makes caramelized onions better (even when we aren’t really caramelizing them). The flavor is perfect with the other ingredients and all the alcohol burns off, so don’t be afraid to splash some in the skillet!
Apple & Rosemary Chicken Sausage Skillet
- 2 T. butter
- 2 medium sweet onions sliced
- 2 medium red apples cored & sliced
- 1 lb. chicken sausage cooked & sliced
- 2 oz. bourbon (optional)
- 2 T. apple cider vinegar
- 1 T. fresh rosemary chopped
- 1/4 t. cinnamon more to taste
- Melt butter in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and apples to the skillet. Cook until apples are soft and onions beginning to brown, stirring often.
- Add sausage slices and continue cooking until browned.
- Stir in bourbon, apple cider vinegar, rosemary, and cinnamon. Deglaze the the skillet and cook for another 2 minutes until fragrant.