Using both curry powder and curry paste gives the sweet eggplant a deep, rich flavor all the way through. Serve over rice as a great gluten-free, vegetarian main dish or as a side for grilled meats.
I use the water displacement method to seal food for the sous vide bath. This works just fine most of the time, but I have my eye on this top-rated vacuum sealer for the future – the idea of pre-sealing a bunch of meals and having them ready-to-go in the freezer is so tempting.
Eggplant slices will float up to the surface, so you’ll need to weigh the bag down; I balanced a heat-safe jar filled with water on top of the bag.
The main instructions are written for sous vide, but I’ve also included my favorite method for roasting eggplant in the oven. I topped mine with thinly sliced Thai chiles because I can’t resist turning up the heat, but cilantro is just fine on its own.
Sous Vide Curried Eggplant
- 2 lb. eggplant cut into 1/2" slices
- 1-2 Thai chiles thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 T. cilantro chopped
- pinch coarse salt
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger peeled & grated
- 1 T. fish sauce
- 1 T. red curry paste
- 1 t. curry powder
- 1 t. brown sugar
- Preheat sous vide bath to 185ºF/85ºC.
- Whisk together all marinade ingredients and pour into a large sealable bag.
- Add eggplant slices to the bag and toss to coat thoroughly in the marinade. Seal the bag using the water displacement method or vacuum sealer.
- Sous vide at 185ºF/85ºC for 3 hours.
- Transfer eggplant slices to a baking rack over a foil-covered sheet. Brush lightly with leftover marinade. Broil until edges are caramelized, about 4-6 minutes.
- Garnish with chiles, cilantro, & salt and serve hot.
Roasting Method (without sous vide)
- Cut eggplant in half lengthwise instead of slicing. Lightly coat with olive oil and place flesh-down on a foil-covered baking sheet.
- Broil for about 20 minutes, until skin is charred and flesh is tender. Cut into 1/2-inch slices.
- Bring marinade ingredients to a simmer in a large pan. Add roasted eggplant slices and simmer for 4-6 minutes, until sauce is slightly reduced.