Potatoes & sausage aren’t exactly the most photogenic fillings, but I seriously dream about that stretchy cheese and gooey egg yolk. Give it a good drizzle of hot sauce and I’m in breakfast heaven.
Sausage & cheddar is the easy go-to breakfast combo, but there are so many directions to run with this. Mushrooms & swiss? Ham & gouda? Sweet potatoes are a definite yes.
And did I mention this recipe happens to also make mashed potatoes for dinner? Major bonus!
I’m excited to try these as a make-ahead camping breakfast! I’ll bake the potatoes and brown the sausage ahead of time, fill the potatoes with sausage & cheese, and just pack them wrapped up in foil. All we’ll have to do in the morning is crack an egg and set the foil right in the coals – perfect start to a long day in fresh mountain air!
Sausage, Egg, & Cheese Potato Boats
- 4 potatoes
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 12 oz. breakfast sausage
- 1/2 onion diced
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Prick potatoes all over with a fork. Coat them generously with oil and season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Bake directly on an oven rack at 350° for 60-70 minutes, until skin is crispy and insides are soft when squeezed. Remove potatoes and keep oven heated at 350°.
- When potatoes are nearly done, brown the sausage in a large skillet. Add onion and cook until translucent. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Cut off the top quarter of each potato and scoop out the flesh to make a hollow boat. Press the sausage mixture into the empty potatoes so they're filled not quite to the top. Crack an egg into each boat and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes, then start checking every 2 minutes until the egg is cooked how you like it - 17 minutes gave me a perfectly gooey yolk, but every oven is different.
- Serve hot out of the oven!