Totally normal when they’re loaded up with all the spicy, melty deliciousness of jalapeno poppers. Layers of roasted jalapenos, crunchy bacon, soft cream cheese, and gooey mozzarella… it just doesn’t get much better. Time to fire up the grill!
I’m declaring this to be my summer of grilling.
More specifically, my summer of learning to grill. Confession time: I looove kebabs and burgers and pretty much anything grilled, but haven’t messed with it much. We’re changing that! We’re fearlessly learning new things.
We’re mostly not afraid of everything falling through the grate. (One jalapeno slice was the only casualty on this one.)
As usual, The Kitchn has all the good tips about heat zones and keeping the juicy goodness in there. I like mine medium-rare… on the rare side. It’s a learning process to get them there every time.
File this one under: it’s-summer-so-grill-everything, let’s-eat-junk-food-for-dinner, stuffing-our-faces-never-tasted-so-good.
This can so easily be made as four smaller burgers if you’re a reasonable person. You know me though. Let’s make these again now please.
Jalapeño Popper Bacon Cheeseburgers
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 t. worcestershire
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 4 jalapeños sliced lengthwise and flattened, seeds and membranes removed
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- 2 buns
- foil for grilling
- Form the ground beef into two thick patties with a dimple in the center. Sprinkle lightly with worcestershire, garlic powder, and pepper. Let the patties rest while the grill heats.
- Heat one side of the grill on high and the other on low to create two cooking zones.
- Place the jalapeno halves cut side down over the high-heat zone until charred. Flip to char the other side, then move to the low-heat zone.
- Lay a sheet of foil over the low-heat zone and arrange bacon on foil to cook, flipping halfway through.
- Grill the burgers over high heat for 2 minutes on each side, then transfer to the low-heat zone. Cook the burgers another 4-6 minutes for medium-rare to medium doneness. In the last minute, lay a slice of mozzarella on each to melt.
- Smear cream cheese on both sides of the buns. Set the burgers on the bottom and top with bacon and jalapenos. Devour immediately.