Bring it along on picnics, to backyard barbeques, to your own porch for a sweet bite after dinner… or the most decadent breakfast to start off your day. Not that we ate cobbler for breakfast or anything.
Blueberries are always a favorite, but you can use any fresh berries you want – pick up a big basket, dump them in, and you’re on your way to summertime happiness.
If you’re using strawberries or another larger fruit, give them a rough chop first.
Fresh Blueberry Cobbler
- 24 oz. fresh blueberries about 4-5 cups
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 4 T. butter softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 T. sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Mix blueberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a large mixing bowl.
- Spray a deep 9x13 pan or other large baking dish and scoop the berries evenly into the bottom.
- Cream butter and shortening in the same bowl. Blend in baking powder and salt, then slowly add flour until crumbly.
- Add egg and milk to the dough and stir until dough is smooth and not sticky.
- Press a small ball of dough flat in your hands, pinch off quarter-sized pieces, and arrange over the berries. Cover the top of the berries completely and continue layering until all the dough is placed.
- Sprinkle the crumble with 1 T. sugar and bake at 425° for 30 minutes, until the dough is golden brown.
- Let cool for at least an hour to let the juice thicken and soak into the crumble topping.
- Serve warm or at room temp with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!