Rúgbrauð Icelandic Rye Bread
Rúgbrauð is a traditional Icelandic dark rye bread, sweet and hearty with a rich history but impossibly simple to make.
- 2 1/3 cups dark rye flour (300 g)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (120 g)
- 3 t. baking powder (14 g)
- 1/2 t. baking soda (3 g)
- 1 1/2 t. salt (3 g)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (370 g)
- 3/4 cup golden syrup (250 g)
Preheat oven to 200°F/93°C.
Combine dry ingredients thoroughly.
Slowly add buttermilk and syrup. Dough will be very wet and sticky; stir only until combined.
Pour dough in a greased loaf pan and cover tightly with aluminum foil.
Bake at 200°F/93°C for 8 hours.
Turn the warm loaf onto a kitchen towel and wrap until cooled, so a hard crust doesn’t form.
Slice thinly and serve with lots of butter.