Okay, let’s start by being honest with each other: this is vegetables and broth. It’s not sexy and it’s definitely not photogenic.
But it is easy, and it is so, so good for you! A heaping two-cup serving will keep you full for hours at only 90 calories with loads of vitamins. Vegetable carbs are high in fiber and slowly release energy to keep you going without a crash. I like to make a big batch of this soup to ‘reset’ my cravings when I’ve been indulging a lot.
This recipe makes a lot… like, fills-an-entire-giant-stockpot. You can easily halve or quarter this, but I make such a large batch because it keeps well in the fridge and I’m much more likely to eat healthy when it’s ready to go. I like to puree half with an immersion blender so I have options.
The best part is it’s endlessly customizable – both the vegetables and any add-ins. Here are a few of my favorite toppings:
- Baked tofu bites
- Spicy harissa paste
- Curry powder
- Salsa or pico de gallo
- Creamy coconut milk
- Crumbled sausage (less healthy, oh-so-good!)
- Cilantro or basil
Even though this makes enough for two weeks of lunches, so long as you switch up different add-ins it doesn’t seem like the same dish every day!
Just like toppings, your favorite produce can be added or subbed. I love poblano peppers, but bell peppers would be just as good. Take out the jalapenos if you don’t like spice, and toss in some squash.
I keep the spice list purposely simple so that I can add different flavors to each bowl when I heat it up. Don’t be afraid to experiment!
Simple Feel-Good Veggie Soup
- 1 head cabbage thinly shredded
- 1 lb. carrots peeled & diced
- ½ lb. celery diced
- 2 onions diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz. mushrooms sliced
- 2 bell or poblano peppers diced
- 2 jalapenos minced
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 cups water
- 2 T. Italian seasoning
- 1 T. red pepper flakes
- 2 t. salt
- Combine vegetables, broth, and water in a large stockpot.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add spices and continue simmering 5-10 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt.
- Optionally, let cool and purée half of the soup with an immersion blender.