Crepes are a crowd pleaser and everyone can choose a filling they love! Whether you like sweet strawberries & tangy lemon zest over creamy ricotta or shredded chicken and ham with melty swiss cheese, these are great for a quiet weekend breakfast or a big group.
Hand-to-heart, I promise crepes are no more complicated than pancakes. We’re even making the batter in the blender for ultimate pour-ability and fewer dishes. If, like me, you were first introduced to crepes in a sixth-grade French class… give them a chance, because sixth-grade-you might have not been the best cook. (Mine were so eggy they could technically be called sad thin quiches.)
Crepes are a vehicle for whatever fillings you’re craving and also whatever’s hanging around in your fridge. I like to make some sweet and some savory because my life is all about having as many food options as possible.
Fruit is classic and strawberries are starting to get really delicious and go on sale here! Creamy ricotta with the zing of lemon zest is a perfect base. Give it a generous dusting of powdered sugar – a little more, please – and you’re set.
Chicken cordon bleu might sound like I had a plan beyond using up the shredded chicken and deli ham hanging out in the fridge. Sure, let’s say that… but it came out so good that we both went back for seconds. Meat + cheese + more meat. You really can’t go wrong.
This recipe makes 8 crepes with enough filling for 4 sweet and 4 savory. Double to make all one kind or use a different filling entirely! Berries and whipped cream make a light, airy dessert crepe. Sub mushrooms & spinach for chicken & ham for a killer vegetarian savory version.
Or, like I said before, clean out your fridge and start mixing til it tastes good. A decadent weekend brunch that uses up odds and ends is definitely how you win at cooking.
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup water
- 3 T. butter, melted
- ½ t. vanilla
- ¼ t. salt
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 cup ricotta
- 3 T. powdered sugar
- 2 T. lemon juice
- zest of ½ lemon
- 8 oz. strawberries, sliced
- 1 T. powdered sugar
- 1 t. lemon juice
- powdered sugar for topping
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- 4 oz. deli ham, shredded
- ½ cup swiss cheese, finely shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- Combine milk, water, butter, vanilla, and salt in a blender. Add eggs and pulse until incorporated.
- Slowly add the flour to the blender, pulsing until the mixture is just combined.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat; don’t spray or add oil.
- When skillet is hot, pour in about ¼ cup of batter, just enough to coat the bottom of the skillet. Swirl immediately to coat completely.
- Let the crepe cook until the edges are crisping and starting to curl, then flip and cook the same time on the other side. Both sides should be light golden brown.
- Stack crepes on a plate until all are cooked and ready to be filled.
- Cream together the ricotta, powdered sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, toss strawberry slices with powdered sugar and lemon juice.
- Assemble by dolloping a line of ricotta inside the crepe and topping with strawberries. Roll and dust with powdered sugar.
- Combine chicken, ham, swiss, and salt & pepper.
- Microwave for a minute or two just until cheese is starting to melt.
- Assemble by spooning a line of filling inside the crepe and rolling it closed.