I’m bringing you a creamy, slightly-sweet, gorgeous orange soup that’s perfect for fall – and we’re not even talking about pumpkins!
Yet. We all know that’s coming.
But today is all about sweet potatoes blended into dreamy coconut milk with heaps of crab and roasted red peppers! We’re blending cozy fall flavors and staying on the lighter side of comfort.
I had such a hard time titling this post. Sweet potatoes and crab and coconut milk just don’t roll off the tongue.
The best description is Dreamy Soul-Healing Fall Crab Soup in Coconut-Sweet Potato Broth. Kirk gently suggested that maybe I needed to shorten it a little bit.
So all I can tell you is that I’m head-over-heels, making-it-twice-this-week in love with this soup, and you will be too.
(But I’m still worried I’m not conveying JUST HOW MUCH YOU NEED IT. It’s just really really that good. Yes.)
Fresh crab would be heavenly but it’s unavailable in our area – not to mention super expensive. So I used canned crab meat here. I know, blasphemy, but you just have to work with what you have! The flavor still shines through and we definitely still went back for seconds.
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 1 onion, roughly diced
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly minced
- 1 T. red curry paste
- 1 t. cumin
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1 lb.), diced
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- 14 oz. coconut milk
- 1 red bell pepper
- 8 oz. crab meat (drained if canned)
- salt to taste
- (optional) cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Cook onion for 2-3 minutes until translucent, then add garlic and cook another 30 seconds.
- Stir in curry paste and cumin and toast for 30 seconds, then add sweet potato and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and coconut milk, scraping the bottom of the pot. Bring to a simmer and cook sweet potato until soft, about 20 minutes.
- While sweet potato is cooking, roast the red bell pepper under the broiler, turning so all sides are slightly charred. Immediately seal in a plastic bag and let steam until skin slides off easily then finely dice the peeled pepper.
- When sweet potato is fully cooked, puree with an immersion blender or in an upright blender and return to the pot. Stir in roasted pepper and crab meat and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Salt to taste and serve hot!