Ginger + honey + grapefruit might be my new favorite flavor for summer! Sweet local honey mellows out the tartness of the citrus, but it’s the freshly grated ginger that really shines. Cooking grapefruit pulls out the most gorgeous, vibrant colors for a beautiful breakfast to start your day.
Broiled grapefruit has been an internet favorite for years, but I’m avoiding turning the oven on at all costs. If you have a gas grill you can fire up in a snap, it’s a great way to get an even deeper grilled flavor without heating up the house!
For being in their low season, we’ve had surprisingly good grapefruit from the market lately – juicy and not too sour. The little bits of charred pulp add extra texture and a splash of vanilla brightens up the honey dressing.
Grapefruit are known as the heath-food breakfast, but we’re canceling that out a liiittle with honey while still staying below 100 calories. Serving a couple slices alongside sweet berries is a great start to your day!
- 2 large grapefruit
- 4 T. honey
- 2 t. freshly grated ginger
- ½ t. vanilla
- Trim the ends of each grapefruit cross-sectionally, then cut into 4 even slices. Remove peel and pith.
- Warm honey in the microwave for 30 seconds, then mix with ginger and vanilla. Brush half the honey on one side of each grapefruit slice.
- Grill the grapefruit slices honey-down over high heat for 5 minutes. Brush remaining honey on top, then flip and grill for another 5 minutes.
- Serve warm from the grill.