Last weekend we went to a wedding that was the most beautiful, joyous celebration of love. This also happened to be my soul sister’s wedding, on my birthday, to a truly wonderful man – so it really couldn’t have been a more perfect day. Their homemade cake, the gorgeous succulent-flower arrangements, literally the entire crowd losing it during the ceremony…
Let’s just talk about the food before I start ugly-crying again.
I loved the setup for their reception – half sit-down tables, half standing cocktail tables, plus a few comfy couches around the edges. Cocktail tables let us wander around and catch up with dozens of friends, plus it was perfect for snagging dinner bites. The meal was served as appetizer after appetizer, filling up tables around the room as well as carried through the crowds, and everything was a major hit.
I filled a plate with these gorgonzola steak bites in mini phyllo tarts and went back for more, so of course I needed to recreate them right away this week. They’re so simple that they’ll definitely make an appearance at our next dinner party – or more likely, be the excuse to throw a dinner party. They’re super-filling as an appetizer thanks to big bites of steak and the rich cream sauce, so you could pair them with a hearty salad for lunch as well!
I cooked the top round steak using my Anova sous vide, 140°F/60°F for 8 hours, but you can precook or grill your cut of steak any way you prefer. I chose to cook these past my favorite red medium-rare to make them more of a crowd-pleaser. Once your steak is cooked, everything can be assembled, cooked, and finished in less than 10 minutes!
- 24 frozen precooked miniature phyllo shells
- 16 oz. steak, cooked to preference
- freshly cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 oz. gorgonzola
- 1 oz. parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut steak into bite-sized pieces just large enough to fit in each phyllo shell.
- Arrange precooked phyllo shells on a large baking sheet and set a steak bite in each.
- Bake at 350° for 5 minutes, until shells are light golden brown and steak is hot.
- While shells are baking, make the gorgonzola sauce.
- Drizzle sauce over steak bites as soon as they come out of the oven. Sprinkle with black pepper and serve immediately.
- Heat heavy cream in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer for 5 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and whisk in gorgonzola and parmesan until smooth.
This post contains affiliate links for products I love, meaning I receive a small percentage if you click & buy – it doesn’t affect your purchase price and helps this blog keep cooking. Thanks!