Breakfast Pie has been our Christmas morning tradition ever since I can remember, and it’s become our Friendsgiving breakfast as well – sinfully rich and filling to eat mid-morning before an early dinner feast. It is the epitome of breakfast comfort food, rich with sausage and eggs and THREE kinds of cheese baked together in a biscuit crust. Once you make it, which I sincerely hope for your happiness is very very soon, the recipe will be requested by friends and coworkers and teachers and everyone else who tries it, and they’ll love you even more when they find out how ridiculously easy it is.
Above all, Breakfast Pie is perfect for holiday mornings or brunches because it can be so easily prepped ahead of time. You can cook the sausage and mix the filling together several days in advance. The morning of, it’s just a quick whisk of batter and the pie is ready to go in the oven. The baking time is magically just right to put it in before stockings and ready to eat by the time you get to presents.
Let’s talk about this cottage cheese. I know it’s always suspicious, but I promise promise promise you are not even going to know it’s there. And it’s not a ‘healthy substitute’ or any nonsense like that – it just works perfectly to bind everything and then melts away. You’ll swear that the filling is nothing but perfectly fluffy eggs and sausage pieces held together with to-die-for cheese sauce. Trust.
Plus, this Bisquick crust is basically magic. Layer a little batter on the bottom, a little on top, and you get a gorgeous biscuit crust rising all around the sides. No pictures because I spaced out, but now you’ll get to see the magic yourself.
I’ve always assumed that this had to be a major nutritional hit, because anything that tastes this decadent can’t possibly be good for you. But when I finally peeked at the label for this post, it’s stunningly pretty damn good – tons of protein, low carbs & fat, and totally reasonable calories for breakfast. Winning all around!
The hardest thing about this recipe is the waiting time after it comes out of the oven. It’s super important to let the molten cheeses cool and solidify so you can slice it as a pie, but no judgment if you get impatient and scoop some out early. We’ve all been there. It’s going to be just as ridiculously good. It’s the holidays and there are no rules. Enjoy it!
- ½ lb. Italian pork sausage, cooked & crumbled
- 12 oz. cottage cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup Bisquick
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- (optional but awesome) 2 T. sesame seeds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Mix together sausage, cheeses, and 2 eggs. Set aside.
- Combine Bisquick, 2 eggs, & milk just until moist. Fold in green onions.
- Pour half of the batter into the bottom of a greased pie plate and spread sausage mixture evenly.
- Spoon remaining batter smoothly across the top and sprinkle with sesame seeds, if using.
- Bake at 375° for 35-45 minutes until crust is golden brown and a knife comes out cleanly. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.